Students who are returning to the University of Missouri to pursue an undergraduate degree after an extended absence may request permission to remove one or more of the complete academic terms from future degree and GPA considerations.
To be eligible for academic renewal consideration, students must meet these requirements:
- Students must not have enrolled as degree-seeking at the University of Missouri for four or more consecutive years.
- Students must not have graduated from the University of Missouri.
- Students must either:
- be admitted as degree-seeking and have earned a minimum of 12.0 credit hours with at least a 2.5 GPA of record for those hours at the University of Missouri within the past 12 months; or
- Have attempted as a non-degree-seeking student and have earned thereby a minimum of 12.0 credit hours with at least a 2.5 GPA of record for those hours at the University of Missouri within the past 12 months and subsequently have been admitted as degree-seeking by the University.
Academic renewal is based on the following conditions:
- All courses and credits taken during the chosen terms will be removed from consideration for GPA and degree requirements. Students may not combine individual courses from multiple terms to comprise the semester(s) dropped. All courses and grades for the chosen terms will remain on the student’s academic record.
- Renewal may be applied only to academic terms completed prior to the student’s extended absence.
- Students may be granted only one academic renewal.
- Students who choose academic renewal must meet the degree requirements of the University of Missouri undergraduate catalog at the time of their readmission.
- Degree requirements met during the dropped terms will have to be repeated.
- To be eligible for a degree, students must complete a minimum of 24 credit hours at the University of Missouri after the granting of academic renewal.
- Students should discuss their desire to pursue academic renewal with an Academic Adviser in the college they wish to enter.
- Students should submit an application for academic renewal to the Office of the University Registrar.
- For each term approved for academic renewal a note will appear on the transcripts.
Questions may be directed to the Office of the University Registrar, Records, 125 Jesse Hall, and (573) 882-4249