Course Repeat and Incomplete Work Policy

Course Repeat Policy

This policy will be effective with the summer term of 2003. As amended February 13, 2003.


After completing the second attempt of a course, a student must submit a REQUEST FOR GPA ADJUSTMENT FORM to the Office of the University Registrar- Records Department, 125 Jesse Hall.

A. GPA calculations for repeated courses

When a grade received in an initial attempt, for an undergraduate course at University of Missouri-Columbia, or any University of Missouri System Campus, is a “C-“, “D+”, “D”, “D-“, “F, or “WF”, the grade will be replaced in the calculation of the GPA by the grade received in any second attempt of the same course at the University of Missouri-Columbia (unless the repeat grade is an “I” or “W”). All grades received in second and subsequent attempts will be included in GPA calculations. No more than 15 semester hours will be dropped from the calculation of the student’s GPA. All attempts of a given course will appear on the official transcript with the grade(s) earned. The transcript will have an explanation that the GPA is calculated using all grades earned in a course except the initial attempt when a course has been repeated. This policy is effective with course work where the initial enrollment and completion of the course was Fall Semester 2000 and thereafter.

B. Grading system of repeated courses.

Any course being repeated may not be taken on an S/U basis.

C. Limitations

  1. Applicability of policy. The policy is applicable to undergraduate students only.
  2. This policy does not imply a guarantee that openings will be available in course(s) if and when students wish to retake them, and instructors will not ordinarily know whether a student is enrolled in a course for the second time.
  3. When a course is repeated all applicable fees apply.

D. Degree credit for repeated courses

Degree credit may be earned only once for a particular course unless a department or division has, in other policies, allowed for multiple-credit from that course.

E. Impact of repeated courses.

  1. Students are strongly encouraged to visit with an adviser to determine whether course re-enrollment is advisable (certain department or divisional policies may be important in this connection).
  2. Further, students should be aware that repeating a course may have an impact on financial aid, insurance, entrance to professional schools, and participation in athletics, immigration status, and other non-academic matters.
  3. The academic status of a student in a given semester will not change as a result of repeating a course.

Clarifying Comments

Students should not re-enroll in a course for which they have been assigned a grade of “I”.

Students may not apply the course repeat policy to courses once they have graduated. This also applies to students who are seeking a second undergraduate degree.

For the purposes of this policy, an undergraduate course is any course an undergraduate student attempts for undergraduate credit regardless of the course level. A student may not apply the course repeat policy to a course repeated as an undergraduate student for graduate credit.

If the department or course number has changed since the student completed the first attempt of a course, the department offering the course will verify that the subsequent course is substantially the same and the course repeat policy may apply. If the initial course is a cross-listed course, a student may apply the course repeat policy if the student subsequently completes the cross-listed course offered by the alternate department.

Courses for which a NR, W or a grade of I are assigned are not considered attempts since no final grade has been recorded.

If the initial attempt of a course contained an attribute such as; honors, writing intensive, math reasoning proficiency, service learning, or computer proficiency, the second attempt is not required to contain the same course attribute for the purpose of the course repeat policy. Students should be aware that if the second course does not have the same attribute as the initial course they will no longer be allowed to count the initial attribute toward any graduation requirement.

Grades of C or greater may not be repeated under the course repeat policy because these grades are considered acceptable work and would not prevent a student from graduating from MU.

Students cannot replace the grade earned from a course at the University of Missouri with a grade earned in an equivalent course at another University of Missouri campus or other college or university.

Effective summer term 2003, MU-authored Center for Distance and Independent Study (CDIS) courses may be used in conjunction with the Course Repeat Policy.

Questions may be directed to the Office of the University

Registrar, Records, 130 Jesse Hall, (573)882-4249.

Incomplete Work (Grade of I)

Whenever students cannot be assigned a grade at the end of a course in which they have been enrolled because their work is for good reason incomplete, the instructor will postpone the grades, reporting I grades to the University Registrar.

An I grade may be assigned only when:

  1. The completed portion of the student’s work in the course is of passing quality and
  2. There is such evidence of hardship as to make it unjust to hold the student to the limits previously fixed for the completion of the work.

Each department of the schools and colleges maintains a record of I grades in courses of that department. (Exemptions are made for research courses and problems courses related to research assignments.) This record, kept in the electronic Student Information System, will include:

  • The name of the student
  • The course number, title and credits
  • Semester and year of enrollment
  • The signature of the instructor
  • A brief statement of the reason for delaying the grade
  • An adequate guide for the removal of the I grade along with a suggested final grade in the event of the departure or extended absence of the instructor from the campus

An undergraduate student who receives an I grade must complete the course requirements either (1) within one year from the date it was recorded (unless the course is numbered 4950-4959 or 4995), or (2) before the date of graduation (whichever comes first). When an incomplete is satisfactorily resolved, the faculty member responsible for the grade change will notify the registrar of the revised grade. Otherwise, the registrar will remove the I and record a grade of F in classes graded A-F for a grade of U in classes graded S/U. Any student planning to graduate with an unresolved I grade should be aware that translation to an F could drop the GPA below requirements for graduation. As with any academic deficiency, the low GPA would delay the student’s graduation until all requirements for graduation are met. When the incomplete work is accomplished, proper notification of the grade to be assigned will be provided to the University Registrar and the student.

Note: A grade of I is not figured into the grade point average.

* Students should not re-enroll in a course for which they have been assigned a grade of I.

* For further information, see the Faculty Handbook, Academic Regulations.

Exceptions to unresolved incomplete grades changing to an F are as follows:

  • Courses taken for graduate level credit
  • Courses taken prior to fall 2003
  • Undergraduate research, honors research or problems courses that are approved for multiple terms of continuous research

* Questions may be directed to the Office of the University Registrar-Records, 573-882-4249.