Housing Rules and Regulations

To enhance academic success, all first-time college students who are less than 20 years of age as of August 15 and are enrolled for more than six credit hours are required to reside for the academic year in University-operated housing or houses operated by fraternities or sororities recognized as student organizations by the University.

A student is considered a first-time student, regardless of when he/she graduated from high school, if the student is enrolled at the University for the first time, and has not previously attended another college or university. (The number of college credit hours accumulated through class work or testing while in high school, or earned by attending a summer session between high school and enrollment at MU, does not count as being enrolled in another college or university.)

A first-time college student less than 20 years of age, who desires to live somewhere other than in University-operated housing or Greek houses, must send a completed Request for Exception to Housing Policy form to the Director of Residential Life in the Residential Life Administration Office. The form must show the address of the proposed housing and the student’s reasons for desiring to live there. Additional information may be required before an exception may be granted.

Students married or living with a legal dependent, parent(s), legal guardian or in a Greek house will be granted an exception upon submission of a Request of Exception to Housing Policy form. Other exceptions to the policy may be granted upon submission of a request for exception. For students having submitted a residence hall contract, contract cancellation terms will be applied based on the date the request for exception is received or the student moves out of the residence hall.

Residential Life-owned or operated Facilities

  • All students, whether they are residents or are visiting Residential Life – owned and/or operated facilities, must abide by the Residential Life policies, and are subject to disciplinary action if they fail to do so. More specific policies are outlined in the Tiger Guide Student Planner and handbook.
  • In extenuating circumstances parents, legal guardians or others with written permission of the resident may be admitted to a student’s room. In cases where a student can be documented to be inaccessible and unable to communicate their permission, within Residential Life policy, access may be approved by Residential Life management staff if it is of benefit to the student.
  • University residence halls locked, with the exception of doors that provide access to information desks. Remaining doors lock when the information desk is not open (typically 11:00pm to 9:00am). When the information desks are closed, guests should be accompanied by a resident at all times. Individual residence halls may elect to reduce the number of hours their doors are unlocked. Hours that doors are unlocked may be reduced or eliminated for campus or community events (home football, campus closures, etc.). Any inappropriate conduct or violation of guidelines or regulations may result in a modification or suspension of door hours.
  • Firearms, bows and arrows, other weapons, fireworks, ammunition or explosives of any description shall not be brought into University-supervised housing. University-supervised housing shall be open for inspection by Columbia campus officials at any reasonable time. If there is reason to believe that a student has violated MU regulations, MU officials reserve the right to authorize an inspection of the student’s possessions in accordance with published guidelines pertaining to the entry of student rooms. Except in cases in which circumstances make it impossible or impractical for the student to be present, any inspection of a student’s possessions shall be made in the presence of the student.
  • Unless the Director of Residential Life grants permission for the housing of non-students, rooms in University- owned and – operated housing shall be for enrolled students only. Any contractual arrangements concerning residence in any facilities that are not owned or operated by the University are entered into between students and the operators of the facilities, and the University shall neither take part in the contractual arrangements nor attempt to arbitrate any financial disputes that may arise there from. If, at any time, the Department of Student Life is informed that a University-recognized housing facility, i.e. a fraternity or sorority house, is not in compliance with city health, safety and fire codes, the department may withdraw the classification of “University-recognized” and the department may advise that facilities operated by recognized student organizations be closed and/or residents vacate the premises.